Leche flan is a Filipino dessert made from condensed milk and eggs. It's quite similar in taste to a creme caramel but has a denser texture.
Cooking style: Camp oven
Cooking time: 15 minutes cooking, 2-3 hours to set
1 cup white sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons vanilla
- Make the caramel by slowly melting the sugar in a saucepan over a low fire using the heat diffuser. Allow to simmer gently until it begins to turn a golden colour then remove from the heat, pour caramel into a small lidded pan and set aside.
- Make filling by lightly beating 5 eggs then mixing in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Pour filling on top of the caramel, place lid on then pop inside a larger camp oven. Add enough boiling water to the camp oven to go halfway up the sides of inner pan.
- Place lid on camp oven and allow to simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove camp oven to the side plate and keep warm enough so the water is just steaming but not boiling. Allow to sit there with the water hot for 2-3 hours or until flan is set.
- Allow to cool in fridge. Flip upside down on a plate to serve.