This is perfect for the Ozpig because the longer it cooks the better it gets...so whack it on the Ozpig side plate all arfternoon while the kids kick the footy around at camping and let it thicken and render and allow all the rich curry flavours to come to the fore. Also great with chicken if you're not a seafood person.
Cooking Method: Camp oven/ Frypan
Cooking Time: 1 hour or more
1 Kg of peeled raw prawns
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 tablespoons of curry powder more or less depending on how much heat you like
1 large diced onion
1 can diced tomatoes
1 sliced carrot
1 cup frozen peas or beans
1 cup of chicken stock
1 can coconut cream
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt/pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a camp oven or deep sided frypan and add curry powder and stir for a minute.
- Add onion and saute for a few minutes.
- Add carrots, tomatoes, coconut cream, chicken stock, turmeric, sugar and lemon juice.
- Let simmer very gently for as long as possible stirring regularly.
- Leave to simmer slowly for at least an hour or more to render and develop a deep rich taste. The longer the better.
- This is the perfect recipe to break out the heat diffuser for a slow long simmer.
- When you are happy with the richness, season with salt and pepper and add the peas/beans and prawns.
- Allow the prawns to cook just long enough to cook through.
- Stir through a handful of chopped parsley and serve with rice or naan.
Also great with some bite sized boneless fish pieces added.