Cooking Style: Camp oven
Cooking Time: 2-3 hours
2 Cups Plain Flour, sifted
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 cups of mixed dried fruit
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
- Bring camp oven to the boil.
- Place flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice and sugar into a good size mixing bowl add mixed dried fruit, give it a stir and make a well in the centre.
- Place milk and butter in a saucepan, allow to nearly boil, then add the bicarb soda (Take care, it will froth up).
- Pour wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be reasonably stiff.
- Using tongs or heat proof gloves place pudding cloth in boiling water, then squeeze out excess. Lay it out flat and cover the inside of the cloth with plain flour.
- Pour the mixture into the middle of the cloth. Gather the corners to make a circle and tie up your pudding, make sure it is really tight with no air pockets.
- Add pudding to boiling camp oven then using the heat diffuser reduce to a simmer. Keep an eye on your water level as you may need to top it up with hot water, always keep a simmer.
- This Pudding can take up to 2-3 hours to cook
- When the Pudding is cooked you will find that the water will evaporate away from the cloth when removed from the camp oven. You will need to pull the cloth away from the pudding while still hot but do it gently as it will have a skin on the outside of the Plum Pudding.
Great served with Custard or Ice Cream